E015 - Multi-Axis Loadcell Application
A multi-axis loadcell is a considerable investment so it is imperative that the complexities of the application are thoroughly examined to ensure the correct loadcell is selected.
Novatech manufactures user friendly multi-axis loadcells with each axis functioning as a normal single axis loadcell. No computational mathematics is required.
Current multi axis loadcell types:
F233 - 3 axis force, ±100 N to ± 5 kN
F232 - 2 axis force, ± 100 N to ± 5 kN
F307 - 3 axis force, ± 20 kN
F314 - 2 axis force, ± 2 kN to ± 10 kN
F310 - force and torque, ± 50 N to ± 2 Nm
NB. Load ratings are invariably outside of those detailed above. Consult our Engineering department to explore the possibilities.
Imperative Issues and correct specification:
- The application mechanics must be defined in terms of forces, moments and geometry.
- The force/moment system should be related to the possible physical fitment of our loadcell device that requires a live input and reaction (earth) fixing.
- Once the above is determined Novatech will evaluate whether a loadcell type can meet the needs of the mechanics.
- The agreed calibration force centroid forms part of the loadcell specification. Novatech will carry out tests to determine errors caused by variation in force centroid position if required.
- Note: If 3 axis loadcells are ordered without consultation, the standard force centroid is adopted as detailed within the product datasheet.
- Error evaluation is recommended since all multi-axis loadcells suffer from ‘cross talk’ errors due to coupling of the monocoque structured sensing elements. Normally the maximum cross talk uncertainty for our ‘user friendly’ designs is 3%.
Cross talk is further explored within our Engineering sheet E009.
Loadcell type suitability:
- F233 - forces in 3 axes at a known calibration centroid, moment sensitivity test recommended for force centroid variation.
- F232 - 2 axis forces in any two mutually perpendicular axes where a third axis force is present and is required not to influence measurements.
- F307 as F233 above.
- F314 - an economic solution to two axis force measurement whereby there is no third axis force to influence the loadcell that is vulnerable to extraneous force induced error.
- F310 - force and torque in a single axis only. No extraneous force tolerance.